Friday, September 7, 2012

Shamrocks and Weeds

A couple of weeks before my sister's wedding, my sister-in-law, Augustine, hosted a small bridal party. We went to the Spiral Diner in Dallas, and then continued onto Augustine's house, where there was to be an afternoon of eating things with sugar in them and making cards.

Unfortunately, Augustine's mom, Catherine, has several balls of crochet thread and a lovely pattern for little heart bookmarks, so I was sitting on the couch with her the entire time, crocheting. I'd never used crochet thread before, so it took me a while to get the gist of it, but I made a sweet little pink bookmark:

A few weeks later, me and my mom stopped of at the new Michael's that opened pretty close to us, and we bought some thread and needles, and I got a package from my Grandma with some more thread in it, so I'm all stocked up for a while. I made a few more hearts... and then got into designing a couple of my own bookmarks. 

Two flowers and a shamrock. The shamrock needs some work... but I'm very please with the flowers. Which is why I have decided to share the wealth and write out the pattern! 

What you need: 
A very small amount of crochet thread and corresponding hook. I used size 5 thread and 2 mm hook for the yellow flower, and size 10 thread and a 1.15 mm hook for the white and purple flower. 

Abbreviations: 
Ch: chain
Sl st: slip stitch
St: stitch
Sc: Single crochet (British double crochet) 

Ch 6 and join in a circle with a sl st. 
Round 1:Sc 10 into the circle (you may need to make a ch 8 originally so that all ten st with fit)
Join with a sl st to first sc. 
Round 2: Sc 2 into every st around, join with a sl st (20 st)
Round 3: *Ch 5, skip over one st, sc into next st, repeat from * around. Join with a sl st

Make a ch a little longer than you want the bookmark to be, go back 6 st and join with a sl st, repeat round 1-3, break yarn and pull it through. Weave in the ends and your done!

Please do not copy or sell this pattern. If you find any mistakes, please point them out to me so that others will not suffer from the mistakes of this incredibly complicated pattern. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xoxo