Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Going To Nanoland

Almost exactly a year ago, I was scrambling to finish a novel that was then untitled. It is still untitled and unedited, though the file is (and has been for a year and a half) saved as simply 'booky.' This was the first novel I ever finished, and it was exactly 72,749 words. I'm still very proud of it, even if it is lacking in a few places. I've certainly gained confidence in my writing. I recall one scene that took place in a police station and I neglected to describe anything for fear of "getting something wrong".

I was in a rush to get it done in October because November is National Novel Writing Month, aka Nanowrimo. Nanowrimo is the month where you write a 50,000 word minimum novel in exactly thirty days. I finished my first novel with hours to spare and the next morning started another one.

I got to 50,000, but I wasn't nearly finished with the novel. Two months later, a few days before the start of February, I hit the end of my 83000 word novel. I am proud of this novel.

I wrote the sequel in June (Camp Nanowrimo) , and while I was definitely pleased with it the novel barely hit 50000 before I wrote 'the end' with relief.

When I finished that, I was like, I'm done, no Nanowrimo this November. I won't be able to manage, it's too exhausting, too much trouble, and I don't have a novel to write anyway.

Haha. I don't think I can stay away from a novel. Just a few days into July, I began a novella, which I'm still working on; and will transform into a novel this November. Thankfully I have nothing to finish before November this year. Wish me luck...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xoxo