Sunday, October 21, 2012

Thicker than Thin

I am very, very, very good at spinning fingering-weight yarn. I thought that I was incapable of spinning anything else. Until a few weeks ago.

You may or may not remember my post Plant to Yarn, which described my previous attempt to spin cotton. This yarn was weak, thin, uneven, and had a tendency to snap if you tried to wind it into a ball.

I pretty much gave up spinning cotton after that. I was fed up with the stuff. However, the other week I had a new idea about it.

What if I spun thick cotton? Instead of drafting it out, what if I just split the roving and spun that?

It worked beautifully. A morning full of spinning cotton with ease.

Having a drop spindle this full of yarn would mean a few hundred yards if I were spinning fingering weight yarn, but with bulky it was equal to 31 yards I believe. 
As you can see there are a few places where it got a little bit thin; don't know how that happened. But for the most part, it was glorious bulky and oh so soft. However, with only 30 yards, I didn't know exactly what to do with it. 

Last night, I picked up a crochet hook and just started crocheting it. I was hoping for maybe enough to make a small cowl or something, but not quite. 

It's double crochet, a little more than a foot long, and five or six inches wide. I have no idea what to do with it. It is incredibly soft, so I want to do something with it, but don't know what. Ah well. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xoxo