Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thumb-hole

I love fingerless gloves, and have knit or crocheted several pairs. However, I've never been able to get my head around a thumb gusset. Finally this morning, I asked on ravelry if there were any good patterns that were simple and easy and had a thumb gusset to be worked. The free pattern 75 Yard Malabrigo Fingerless Mitts was suggested and I immediately found some worsted weight yarn
(not Malabrigo) and my size 7 dpns and cast on.

Eager to get to the gusset, I only knit four rounds of ribbing for the cuff, considering the fact that I was only doing this for practice and wasn't even going to make its mate. I also cut the top of the glove short and added a few rounds of moss stitch to the thumb. And I didn't weave in my ends, as you can clearly see, because this glove will be thrown into my 'cheap yarn' bag until I need the yarn and rip it out.

And now I know just how easy a thumb gusset is. Just like knitting in the round and purling, I have overcome this fear and am onto knitting bigger and better thumb holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xoxo