Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dolls

I was never one for baby dolls. Sure, they were fun for playing 'house' every once in a while, but really they were quite boring. But lately I've had a fascination for those antique-ish looking dolls that are either knit or made completely of wood or ceramic, and that have a variety of old-looking dresses and rather expressionless faces. 

This doll I knit today was inspired by two blogs I follow, Ginx Craft  and Dot Pebbles. The latter of the two is chock full of ideas for dolls, but the former has an exact post that inspired my doll (link). 

I made the pattern up, but took precise notes so that I can write the pattern. I also was considering felting her because I used sport weight wool and needles three or four sizes larger than suggested, but I decided against it for no particular reason.

She also doesn't have a name (yet). When it comes to naming things I generally fail miserably, which is why most of the things I knit that deserve names (i.e. bunnies, owls, hamsters, dolls) never get them.

The dress I didn't make pattern notes for, unfortunately, so I might have to make another one before I publish the pattern. But it's quite simple; essentially just a tube of knitting that's a little wider at the bottom, has some ribbing at the top, and has two i-cord straps that cross in the back. I'm thinking of making her another outfit with a ruffly, colorful skirt and a beige top.

Also, the dress looked a little drab when it was just plain grey so I crocheted a red edging on the hem and thought, well that compliments the blue bows in her hair quite nicely. (The hair, by the way, is some combed top roving that I stitched to her head and plaited, tying it off with a little of the leftover yarn from my Entrelac Cowl.)

Goodnight (or very early good morning, rather). I really have to stop staying up so late, or I'll get jet lag when school starts and I have to get up early every morning. 

And, of course, I'm linking with Tami's Amis for FO Friday. 

3 comments:

  1. Sophie says hello to your lovely doll. She is really honoured that she inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute!! xoxo becca.
    I didn't even see you making these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I absolutely love her. She reminds me of the one from the Island of Misfit Toys.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! xoxo