Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Keeper of the Bees

I have at last been lured into the knitting trap of the Beekeeper's Quilt, by Tiny Owl Knits. Thousands of knitters have already made their own big fluffy blankets, and I've had by eye on the pattern for a long time. While the official pattern says to stuff the little 'hexipuffs', as they're called,with cotton batting, many people are leaving them unstuffed and calling them 'hexiflats.' The idea of a blanket composed of little balls of fluff sounds very uncomfortable and hot to me, especially in Texas, so my hexis will remain unstuffed. I also don't know if I'll have the patience to make an entire blanket, and I'm not sure if I'd want an entire quilt, so I'm going for a little lap throw or some such thing.
These are the two I made today, just using leftover scrap yarns I had on hand. I'm going to try not to buy any yarn specifically for this project, but maybe it will inspire me to make a pair of socks, so I can use the leftover yarn for hexis. 

There are monthly hexipuff knit-a-longs in the Tiny Owl Knits ravelry group, and lots of other places to seek inspiration to continue when the allure of knitting hexagon after hexagon fades, and with luck I'll have a little blanket in a year or two (depending on how many sock yarn projects I make in between hexis, that is). 

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking about starting one of these quilts and was wondering about leaving the hexipuffs unstuffed. I am glad to see there are some people out there who are doing it that way. Good luck with your beekeeper's quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! xoxo