Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Spinning

I meant to blog yesterday, really I did, but unfortunately I was too busy both knitting with the yarn I got for my birthday and reading a book that was actually intended for readers a few years younger than me, but that I enjoyed anyway (not that it was particularly good, mind). 

So I'm back today, with rather un-birthday related news to share. Actually, it's not really news. It's more like a few pictures with some information included describing the pictures.
Last Friday, I dyed some more wool roving. It worked a lot better than last time, and thankfully I know why. Last time, I didn't set the dye enough, meaning I didn't put it in the microwave for a long enough amount of time, so loads of dye didn't stick to the wool. With this roving, I put it in the microwave for about 5 minutes, at 1 minute increments. I turned it around every time I checked it as well, so that the dye could get to all the roving. There were still some white parts, but that gives the yarn some more variegation which I'm glad of. Also, this time I used Koolaid instead of Easter egg dyes. 

I think I used 6 packets of Koolaid in a bunch of colors like cherry, strawberry, black cherry, grape, etc.  I had hoped for a few more violet hues, but ah well, one can't have everything, and at least the whole thing isn't pastel pink.

And on top of all that, I have 4oz instead of 2 3/4oz, so I'll get a good bit more yardage. So far I've spun about a third of it, and got 130 yards out of that. I'll ply it double and get about 200 yards, I think, so it'll probably be worsted/heavy worsted weight. 

I also have some knitting works in progress, more than I had last week, but the combination of me being too lazy and it being cold outside is keeping me from going back out and taking pictures. And of course, I'll be linking with Tami's Amis and Other Creations

3 comments:

  1. Just popping over from Tamis, belated birthday wishes. Love the yarn the colours are wonderful and the touch of white in it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only dyed with food coloring Maybe you can get the deeper tones with a touch of black.

    Molly : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this color to death!!!!! Makes me think of strawberries :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! xoxo